Monday, October 3, 2011

Don't Hide

When did I get so reactionary? I don't know, maybe it was my latest birthday. Taking stock of what I have and what I don't. I am immensely grateful for all my friends. But there is one issue with a friend I feel strongly about, and if you know me, I don't sit still until I've said my piece.

So these aren't people, but you get the general idea.
We all need people. It doesn't matter how long it takes, we all have that 'discharge' when we connect with another - like a capacitor that suddenly lets it all hang out. Skinner did those horrible tests on real kids 50 years ago (including his own daughter, poor thing) and we came to realize that when humans aren't touched or stroked (physically or mentally), they become stunted or blocked. Their higher purpose is thwarted.

You can't just decide not to connect. It's like denying your humanity. If we look at people that are really happy, what is it that makes them this way; is there a common theme with these people? I think there is, it's strong ties to one or more people. Maybe it's not love, maybe it's desire, or hate, or community. It's a connection.

Suppression is the worst way to be unhealthy. Everyone has needs. We don't live isolated in our own little boxes for a reason. To think you can do so is courting trouble; it's denying and punishing yourself.  This is especially true if you have passion. When you have a fire in your soul, it should be allowed to burn, not to be hidden or snuffed out. Opening one's heart is hard, I know. It can cause immense suffering, but also immense joy. Don't hide, come out into the world.

2 comments:

  1. Why are the lizards huddled together? Was it cold? Are they trying to look like a posse for protection?
    AL's afraid of lizards. He thinks they are aggressive (haha)and they'll bite him. I asked him why and he says they look at him, and do push-ups, as if they are threatening him. (Lizard talking to AL: Oh, yeah, I see those popeye arm muscles, but how many of these push-ups can you do? Hm?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone said it was about mating - it's not. They hang out together on the warm steps just to hang, I think. They don't move, they just lie there for a long time. I love the little push-ups they do, I think they're sort of playground roughhousing. Then they chase each other. Nothing happens when they catch up. Most of the time they don't. Even the little ones do it. Maybe it's like showing off.

    ReplyDelete